Kawerau was founded in 1953 specifically to cater for the activities of the Tasman Pulp and Paper mill.
One of New Zealand’s youngest towns, the location was chosen due to the ready availability of geothermal energy and fresh water, and its close proximity to the large supply of radiata pine from the Kaingaroa forest.
Since then, the region has developed and is now recognised as the world’s largest application of geothermal energy for direct industrial use.
Kawerau’s growth has led to the establishment of specialised industry with extensive expertise, offering the perfect environment and support for companies wanting a sustainable way of operating their business.
Nearby, we have the world-class Port of Tauranga and leading research and development facilities, which focus on the creation of a strong bio-based economy.
Kawerau offers a combination of commercial opportunities and access to an abundance of natural resources that is unrivalled in this country. When our affordable housing and enviable climate is combined with the region’s unspoilt environment, it makes for a winning formula.